What’s new on the B2B Market?
Higher heat resistance is needed for lead-free assembly processes: laminates that need to resist to high temperature must have a higher Decomposition Temperature (called Td).
Additional features important for the new laminates are:
- uniform glass distribution to get a better quality in laser drilling
- thinner glass fabrics to get better electrical properties
- thin dielectrics for distributed capacitance between power and ground
New laminates “designed” for high-performance PCBs have to be reviewed under thermal-mechanical and electrical aspects.
Here following a list of the typical characteristics to take under consideration during the base material choice.
- Thermal expansion in x, y and z-axis with special impact on the z-axis for the reliability of the vias (e.g. barrel cracking) and withstand multiple pressing processes.
- Parameters for signal integrity and impedance requirements.
- Uniform glass distribution helps to get a better quality in laser drilling.
- Thinner glass fabrics help to get better electrical properties.
- Thin dielectrics make it possible to get a better distribution of capacitance between power and ground.
Glass transition temperature Tg
- The temperature at which the material stops acting as a rigid material.
- Higher heat resistance is needed for lead-free assembly processes: laminates that need to resist to high temperature must have a higher Decomposition Temperature (called Td). This is the temperature that a laminate can withstand when it has lost 5% of its weight by thermal gravimetric analysis (TGA).
- mportant aspects may be the CAF Resistance and moisture absorption.
- Need of “Low Halogen” laminates for the green electronic.
Standard FR4, high Tg Laminates also Halogen Free and specific for High Speed Digital:
- FR4 standard & Leadfree: Iteq IT140 & IT588; Isola Duraver ML104i - Tg 140 °C; Black FR4
- Mid Tg epoxy for Lead-free process: Iteq IT158 -Tg 160 °C; Isola IS400 -Tg 150 °C
- Mid Tg– Halogen Free: Iteq IT40G -Tg 140 °C, IT150G
- High Tg 180°C epoxy (without filler): Iteq IT180 (also No/Low flow Prepreg); Isola IS420& IS410; ARLON 45N
- High Tg 180°C epoxy (with filler): Iteq IT180A & IT180i; Isola PCL370HR; Nelco N4000-29; Hitachi 700GR; EMC 827 i
- High Tg 170°C epoxy – Halogen Free: Iteq IT170GRA1 & IT170G & IT180GN
- High speed application: Nelco N4000-13(Si) & N4800-20(Si); Isola Fr408HR, IS600(series), Astra and I-Tera; Iteq IT200DK and IT150DA(SE), IT-968 (SE), IT-988G, IT-988G SE; Panasonic Megtron6 and Megtron7
- Capacitance layer: OAK-Mitsui Faradflex
High-performances materials for avionic/military application:
- Polyimide Resin System: Arlon 33N, 35N, 84N, 85N, 85HP; Ventec VT901(also No/Low flow); Hitachi MCL-I-671; Isola 95P/96P; NELTEC N 7000VO
- Epoxy Resin System: Arlon® Kevlar 4NK (Tg 170 °C and 4.7 ppm/°C)
- Epoxy and Polyimide Thermount® & Para Aramid fiber: ARLON 55NT/85NT
- Copper/Invar/Copper: tipically 150 μm thick - 17/120/17 μm)
- Thick copper: up to 500 microns and over, for BusBar application and copper inlay&coin technology
- Flexible Laminates-Polyimide film based: DuPont PYRALUX LF; PYRALUX FR
- Flexible Laminates- Polyimide film based Adhesiveless: PYRALUX AP, PYRALUX AP-Plus & PYRALUX TK
- Flexible Laminates-Polyimide based Adhesiveless: UBE Upilex; Iteq IF-2LD; Panasonic Felios
- Emi shielding layer: Tatsuta SF-PC6000 and TATSUTA SF-PC 3300
- Rogers® / Arlon (also Copper/Brass supported): RT/Duroid Family; RO3000 Family; TMM Family; DiClad Family; Isoclad Family; Cuclad Family; AD Family; AR Family; TC Family
- Rogers® / Arlon®: RO4350 & RO4003 (Back up material for discontinued 25N & 25FR but partially applicable)
- Rogers®: ULTRALAM® 3850HT - Liquid Crystalline Polymer (LCP)
- Iteq “new generation” material for RF and Microvawe applications IT-88GMW, IT-8300GA, IT-8338G, IT-8338A, IT-8350G, IT-8350A, IT-8615G with Dk from 3,00 up to 6,15(,05)
- Taconic®: RF25A2, RF35, RF35A2, RF45, RF60, TSM-DS3, Cer10, FastRise, TACLAM Plus and all teflon family (TLX, TLY, TLE)
- Nelco: Mercurywave series, Meteorwave (1000 & 4000 Series) and all teflon family
- Foam: Rohacel HF51.