A malicious ransomware named ‘WannaCry’ hit the global business world causing a lot of damage to the significant data of numerous organizations mainly in US, Europe and Asia. The rapidly growing malware created a havoc amongst businesses and before it could be stopped, a large number of organizations witnessed huge damage and loss of data.
Ransomware attacks are also reported in India and the nation’s business community is experiencing a bigger threat to the upward economic growth trajectory. While the country is poised to emerge as the third largest economy of the world by the year 2030, a global cyber-attack like ransomware WannaCry is something that needs to be solved as soon as possible.
What is Ransomware ‘WannaCry’?
Ransomware ‘WannaCry’ is a type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid. It can be targeted to individuals as well as business organizations. The computers of the world witnessed this malicious cyber-attack on Friday, 12th May 2017.
How Ransomware ‘WannaCry’ spread?
The malware was circulated mainly through emails to targeted individuals and organisations. They were sent in form of compressed files which once encrypted, get loaded in the system and allow the ransomware ‘WannaCry’ to infiltrate its targets.
How to save your data from Ransomware ‘WannaCry’?
- Enable an updated version of trusted Antivirus software in your system.
- Regularly check information in your databases to determine its integrity.
- Ensure the authentication of scripts/codes used in the database and relevant sensitive systems.
- Establish an email validation system to prevent spam.
- Update the third-party applications and software (MS Office, Browsers, Plug-ins, etc.) running in your system with latest versions.
- Ransomware viruses generally execute through %APPDATA% & %TEMP% paths. Implement strict Software Restriction Policies (SRP) to block such binaries.
- Regularly perform the back-ups of priority-based databases and information offline and limit the impact of data loss.
- Never open attachments in unsolicited emails and never click on URLs in such emails.
- Ensure that your web browser is up-to-date, trustworthy and secured.
- Disable the remote desktop connections running in your systems.
- Restrict the installation of unwanted software applications.
- Block the attachments of these types- exe, pif, tmp, url, vb, vbe, scr, reg, cer, pst, cmd, com, bat, dll, dat, hlp, hta, js, wsf.
- Get your system monitored by CERT-IN empanelled auditors or other certified authorities. Repeat audits at regular intervals.
There are certain law enforcement agencies that specialize in this kind of cyber investigations. The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) is a government-certified organization that has come forward to save the Indian economy from Ransomware ‘WannaCry’ cyber-attack. Contact them immediately if your system witnesses any such attack or data loss.
Need Safe Data?